Recently, Google's Eric Schmidt made note of Google's 200 ranking factors in determining search enging rankings.
Of course, Google's not going to reveal their business secrets by publishing their search engine algorithms. Instead, Google has revealed some factors that are important in determining page ranking position. They include:
- The presence of a search term in the HTML title tag. Yes, you need much more here than "Home" and "About Us" and/or the name of your business.
- The presence of a search term in the HTML body copy. If you're targeting the keyword "strawberries" on a specific page, then you need to be mentioning the keyword in your page content.
- Search terms in bold typeface.
- Search terms in header tags (H1, H2, etc.).
- The presence of a search term in anchor text links. Like this: SEO.
- The PageRank of a page.
- The PageRank of the entire domain.
- The speed (load time) of the website.
Remember, there are 200 factors. Doing the aforementioned points is a great start!